Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Application Essay, 1

Living Aware

Compassion is universal. Even though we live in a world full of language barriers and cultural differences, one common truth exists: we all need each other. While needs may vary, needs remain undeniable. As humans, it is one of our greatest gifts when we recognize the needs of others with compassion.

Studying abroad in Rome, Italy in May of 2005, truly sparked my awareness of cultural differences. My Germanic heritage and blonde hair made me different from the majority of people around me. I was different and I stood out. This was also the case when I traveled to Japan in August of 2007 to climb Mt. Fuji. These differences intrigued me and my awareness continued to be active, even in areas closer to home.

In June of 2006 I volunteered with the Hands On organization to provide disaster relief in New Orleans, LA. I was amazed at the extreme cultural differences that exist between the north and the south in the United States. Having already lived in the south (Orlando, FL) for eight months, I thought I would have been somewhat prepared for what I was to experience. Helping, conversing and socializing with the locals opened my eyes to different lifestyles; both as they are now and how they used to be before the hurricanes. By reaching out to the local community and listening to their stories, I gained valuable life lessons about everyone coming together to pull through the hard times. The hurricane destruction was heart-breaking. Seeing street after street completely demolished was a sight almost indescribable. Then our time came to help. We gutted family’s homes, leaving their possessions, memories, and past lives, mold-infested in a pile on the street. Working together fully clothed in Tyvek suits and safety gear, our group of volunteers overcame the heat and humidity working long hours which were physically and emotionally exhausting. Our physical stamina and endurance were tested, but we needed to be strong. Working as a group, we needed to be actively aware of our surroundings, listen accordingly to our leaders, and remain self-motivated. Once again, it was the conversations with the locals that encouraged me to continue. The families were grateful for the help, but knew the cost, none of our lives would ever be the same. While the hurricane completely devastated them all, their lives of poverty were nothing new. In fact, one man even told me that the hurricane happened for a reason; it brought attention to an area in desperate need.

I returned home with a heightened awareness of the differences that existed within my own community, and an increased sensitivity to other peoples circumstances. I was more aware of the poverty level and how diverse it actually was around me. I learned more about my community and became more conscious of other people’s values. My attitude towards several areas in my life was drastically impacted, having positive effects on my behavior. I only hope my experiences, behavior and compassion, will also positively impact those around me.

No comments: