Friday, October 17, 2008

e-mail 10/08/08

Hello friends, family, and all others who apply but don't think you fall into one of the previous categories.
My journey is finally about to begin! It has just been confirmed that the plane will finally fly, and I will be leaving tomorrow for an outer island of Yap! The island of Falalop. This is where I will be having my remaining language and technical training. I will finally be able to learn Ulithian! (I have been sitting in on the Yapese trainings for the past few days...and I am eager to start to learn something I will actually use on my island!)
Yap proper is beautiful, but I am so anxious to see what is yet in store for me! Unfortunately, I will not be on my permanent island of Federai until around the end of November( depending on when the ship/plane leave!)

So tomorrow is the day I say good bye to electricity, cars, internet, phones and all the other little luxuries I have become so accustomed to in my 24 years. I cannot wait. I have already been wearing my outer island lava lava (traditional women's skirt) the shirt that I will be wearing every moment for the next 2 years. Just one of the new customs I am attempting to get used to (there are so many rules that go along with this skirt! The way I can or cannot sit, how I walk, how I wear it, even how I fold it and carry it!! It is crazy!!!)
The way my life is about to change I cannot fully even begin to understand, or try to explain.. Therefore, your just going to have to wait for the updates and learn as I go. On that note, I will stop rambling for now and get back to my training....this afternoon we are having a cultural training....we will be learning all about coconuts!!! I am very excited.....Love you all ....more to follow...Alyssa

No comments: